Why not give some great ocean or beach themed gifts this year to the kids on your list? Here are some fantastic ideas:
1. Bucket and Shovel. the old standby for a trip to the beach. What kid wouldn’t love to play in the sand with a cool bucket and shovel. Of course the castle-building shapes are just as awesome but most buckets come with handles so the little sand creator can also gather some other items from the water line like sea beans, shells, driftwood and more. Pick plastic or metal and have the bucket decorated with the child’s monogram, characters or other designs. Add a beach towel and some other beach toys to get them excited about their upcoming vacation or regular trip to the beach if you live coastal.
2. Gift card to the local aquarium. Wow! For the kid that love sharks, this is a cool gift. Be sure to take a walk through the shark tunnel; most aquariums have them for under-the-shark viewing. Add in a few extra dollars more than the admission price for a trip to the gift shop.
3. Snorkeling lessons and a guided trip. It’s easy to find a coastal business that will offer some lessons and take you on a guided tour of some great area along the coast. Either give a gift card for the lessons with information about classes or a note with a pledge to take them on vacation at the beach and enjoy snorkeling. Add some basic equipment to be ready to go.
4. Boogie Board. If you attend the beach regularly, you may want to invest in a new boogie board or one that will last a long time. Not sure the child on your list is good at using the boogie board? Many vacation spots have surf stores that will give a lesson in boarding. Add a gift card from your favorite store.
5. Membership to Surfrider and a tshirt. For the coastal activist child or teen, a membership to Surfrider might be a great gift. Membership fees vary depending the level of monetary contribution and the premium item you want. At any level, your child will get a monthly digital copy of the organization’s newletter, a decal and discount in the online store. Click here for more information.
6. Surfing lessons and a surf board. Whether the child on your list wants to surf the big waves in Hawaii or just coast along the low ones off the Gulf Coast of Florida, surf lessons for the adventurous will be a hit. Surf shops in vacation destinations provide lessons so pick a shop where you intend to vacation next year and get a gift card with a description of the classes available. Throw in a DVD of Endless Summer, and a subscription to a surf magazine.
7. Sticker books and other activity books about the ocean. There is a plethora of sea-themed books, sticker books, and craft kits available in stores and online. Books about sea creatures from DK and other publishers, sticker books about the ocean, books about shore birds, sharks, sea turtles are popular with kids. For the dedicated teen reader try more in-depth marine science books, books about ocean travelers or high-seas adventures. Rather than just give one book, fill a basket or other container together with a set of books and other activities. Wrap it up to make one big gift.
8. Model Sailboat. For the child that likes to put things together, a model sailboat, model ship or ship-in-a-bottle kit would be a lot of fun. You can find these in specialty hobby stores and online. Include a story book or DVD movie about this particular boat so your child can become an expert.
9. A tropical fish aquarium. Available at pet stores, fish tanks provide a learning experience, a calming effect for everyone watching the fish swim around and teaches responsibility. Pack the aquarium with all the equipment you need, including a book or two on tropical fish and how to take care of them. Wrap it all together. Spend the day learning together about the different types of fish and pick which ones you’ll shop for the next day. Some fish don’t get along with others, so use the expertise of a pet store aquarium specialist to help you pick your new pets.
10. A beach-cruiser bike. Along the coast you don’t need the gears on your bike like you use on hills. A simple beach cruiser will get you from your house to the beach or local beach gift store or restaurant. Easy to ride, the wide tires make it easy to manage a bike ride on the sand. Add some accessories, like a helmet, water bottle, flat-tire kit, bell and front basket for extra fun.